Ronnie James Dio News
This page contains news about Ronnie James Dio related things. The
information here comes from various different sources I consider
reliable, but I cannot guarantee that all the information presented
here would be flawless. I've done my best to filter out all the
unfounded rumors, or marked those rumors clearly as rumors.
December 8th, 2016:
After a 3 year vacation, a ton of updates in the discography and tour date sections. Go to check them out. A summary what has been updated can be found in the Update section - 51 additions from Rainbow, 12 from Black Sabbath/Heaven And Hell, 36 from Dio and 26 others. More will come in near future (maybe sooner than in 3 years time, but predicting the future is always challenging).
Huge thank-you to Genady Perchenko
My good friend Genady Perchenko has helped me to host this site on his server for almost 20 years. I can't tell how grateful I am for this; he has been a huge supporting force here. However, as he's shutting down his server now, I had to move this site elsewhere. From now on this site will be hosted on a server here in my home country Finland.
November 17th, 2013:
Second update this year?!
Exactly 250 items (singles, LPs, CDs, 8-track tapes etc) added to the discographies and some updates to the past tour dates as well. Some interesting discoveries too! Thanks to Ron Wray, who is an old friend of Ronnie's and who knows everything about the history of Syracuse music, I became aware of two previously unknown Ronnie James Dio connections.
First one of these is this: Back in November 1960 Bobby Comstock released "Your Big Brown Eyes" on Jubilee label. Ronnie plays trumpet and sings backing vocals on this single. Dio collectors were already aware of another Bobby Comstock release featuring Ronnie on bass ("Run My Heart"/"I Can't Help Myself") dating to December 1963 - which was also released a year later in India of all the places!
The second discovery was very surprising, as it went to the very top of the US Billboard charts for three weeks. This song was also an international hit - the single was released in North America, Japan, Australia and various European countries - after initial research on this, my guess is that there are probably dozens of different pressings of this single. The band was "The Angels" and the song was "My Boyfriend's Back". Ronnie's contribution was the bass track on this single. This one was released on LP too, as well as on various compilation and sampler albums.
February 23rd, 2013:
Almost two years since last update
Tons of past tour dates from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s added, plus tons of ticket stub pics, gig ad pics, tour pass pics and so forth included on the tour date pages. More than a handful of discography additions too, including a previously unknown acetate from 1963 (Bad Man In Town / Jezebel), lots of Japanese CD promos, Rainbow test pressings, Zimbabwean records and even some recent reissues.
I've got at least three hundred other additions on the way, but so that I could get at least one release of my pages out this year, I decided to draw a line right here. Maybe a new update even quicker than I did this one.
May 16th, 2011:
As you probably know, a year ago on this day Ronnie died. I don't know about you, but I sure know what I'll be doing today: I will listen to whole bunch of Dio albums today, as well as relive the past tours within my head. Warm memories of good times.
Tons of new Dio related releases have showed up since the last update of my pages (June last year!). I'm not sure if I remembered all, and I haven't added all of these to the discography yet either.
- 28.06.2010: Dio: Holy Diver reissued as a picture disc vinyl LP on Back On Black label in the UK (sorry, forgot this one from the previous update). Came in plain plastic sleeves as usual for the picture discs.
- 28.06.2010: Dio: Evil Or Divine DVD was reissued in the UK by Eagle Rock Entertainment.
- 30.07.2010: Dio: Holy Diver reissued on 180-gram red vinyl LP on the same Back On Black label in the UK. This one will have a gatefold sleeve.
- 04.08.2010: Dio: Holy Diver reissued on CD in Japan by Universal Music.
- 21.09.2010: We Wish You A Metal Xmas And A Headbanging New Year CD was reissued in the USA by Armoury Records (1 song with Ronnie on vocals).
- 22.09.2010: Rainbow: Deutschland Tournee 6CD box reissued in Japan by Field Music.
- 29.09.2010: Dio: Diamonds - The Best Of Dio CD was reissued in Japan by Universal Music.
- 12.10.2010: Dio: Holy Diver Live was reissued on Blu-Ray in Europe and USA
- 27.10.2010: Rainbow: Long Live Rock 'N' Roll was released on SA-CD in Japan by Universal Music. Gates Of Babylon in the first pressing had 1-second glitch and the SA-CD was reissued apparently in January 2011 to fix this. Only visible difference between these two is blue dot on the title strip of the fixed pressing.
- 27.10.2010: Heaven And Hell: Neon Nights - Live At Wacken was released on DVD in Japan by Ward Records, limited edition of 5000 copies.
- 09.11.2010: Dio: At Donington UK 1983 & 1987 CD was released in USA and Europe on Niji Entertainment Group.
- 10.11.2010: Heaven And Hell: Neon Nights - Live At Wacken was released as 2CD and DVD in Japan by Armoury Records.
- 15.11.2010: Heaven And Hell: Neon Nights - Live At Wacken was released as 2CD and DVD in Europe and USA by Armoury Records.
- 17.11.2010: We Wish You A Metal Xmas And A Headbanging New Year CD was reissued in Japan by Armoury Records (1 song with Ronnie on vocals).
- 22.11.2010: David Rock Feinstein: Bitten By The Beast CD was released in Europe and USA on Niji Entertainment Group (1 song with Ronnie on vocals).
- 23.11.2010: Dio: Holy Diver reissued as a picture disc vinyl LP by Niji Entertainment Group in the USA.
- 01.12.2010: Dio: At Donington UK 1983 & 1987 CD released in Japan by Universal Music.
- 18.12.2010: Deep Purple: In Concert With The London Symphony Orchestra 4LP set from Italy, Night of the Vinyl Dead label, numbered limited edition of 500 copies.
- 31.12.2010: Eddie Ojeda: Axes To Axes was released on pink and multicolor LPs, both limited to 250 copies (i.e. 500 copies in total), individually numbered. Steel Legacy/Rockaholics Records in Greece/Czech Republic (1 song with Ronnie on vocals).
- 11.01.2011: Rainbow back catalogue was reissued on 180-gram black vinyl in the UK by Back On Black label.
- 11.01.2011: Black Sabbath: Live At Hammersmith Odeon was released as 3LP on 180-gram vinyl in the USA, numbered limited edition of 3000 copies.
- 11.01.2011: Heaven And Hell: Neon Nights - Live At Wacken was released as 2LP red vinyl in the UK on Back On Black label, limited edition of 1000 copies.
- ??.01.2011: Dio: At Donington UK 1983 & 1987 reissued in the US and UK without tour badges & different sticker on the front sleeve.
- 07.02.2011: Black Sabbath: Dehumanizer Deluxe Expanded Edition 2CD, European and Taiwanese release. Single tracks + some live recordings from 1992.
- 15.02.2011: Dio: At Donington UK 1983 & 1987 released on 2LP 180-gram vinyl in the USA by Niji Entertainment Group.
- 28.02.2011: Rainbow: Rising deluxe edition 2CD, European release. Two mixes of the Rising album, as well as rough mixes of the song and tour rehearsals for Stargazer.
- 23.03.2011: Rainbow: Rising deluxe edition 2CD, Japanese release. Two mixes of the Rising album, as well as rough mixes of the song and tour rehearsals for Stargazer.
- 04.04.2011: Black Sabbath: Dehumanizer Deluxe Expanded Edition 2CD, Japanese release. Single tracks + some live recordings from 1992.
- 16.04.2011: Dio: Killing The Dragon was reissued as picture disc vinyl in the USA by Niji Entertainment Group.
- 16.05.2011: Heaven And Hell: Live At Radio City Music Hall will be reissued on DVD and Blu-Ray.
- 23.05.2011: The Rods: Vengeance CD will be released on Niji Entertainment Group in USA and Europe (1 song with Ronnie on vocals).
- 30.05.2011: Dio: Mightier Than The Sword: The Ronnie James Dio Story 2CD will be released in Europe by Universal Music. Will cover Ronnie's career from Elf onwards.
Ronnie's band members from Dio - Craig Goldie, Simon Wright and Scott Warren - will be doing a four-week European tour this summer under name Dio Disciples. They will have James LoMenzo on bass as Rudy Sarzo was unable to do the tour because of his other commitments with Blue Oyster Cult. There is also a US tour in plans with Rudy on board. The band will have two vocalists with them, Tim Ripper Owens and Toby Jepson. Or three, as for the last four gigs on the tour Ripper Owens will be replaced by Doro Pesch.
Here are the European dates for them:
- 08.06.2011, A2 Club, Moscow, Russia
- 09.06.2011, Kosmonayt, St. Petersburg, Russia
- 10.06.2011, Sauna Open Air Festival, Tampere, Finland
- 11.06.2011, Download Festival, East Midlands, UK
- 12.06.2011, Academy, Newcastle, UK
- 14.06.2011, Garage, Glasgow, UK
- 15.06.2011, Slade Room, Wolverhampton, UK
- 16.06.2011, Academy 2, Manchester, UK
- 17.06.2011, Islington Academy, London, UK
- 19.06.2011, De Pul, Uden, Netherlands
- 20.06.2011, Colos Saal, Aschafensburg, Germany
- 21.06.2011, Markthalle, Hamburg, Germany
- 22.06.2011, C Club, Berlin, Germany
- 24.06.2011, Graspop, Dessel, Belgium
- 25.06.2011, Matrix, Bochum, Germany
- 27.06.2011, Szene Wien, Vienna, Austria
- 28.06.2011, Konzerthaus Schuur, Lucerne, Switzerland
- 29.06.2011, Magazzini Generali, Milano, Italy
- 01.07.2011, Rockstar Live, Bilbao, Spain
- 02.07.2011, Heineken, Madrid, Spain
- 03.07.2011, Bikini, Barcelona, Spain
From June 11th onwards until 28.06.2011 they will have The Rods as their opening band, featuring Ronnie's cousin David Rock Feinstein on guitars and vocals.
Year 2010 news archive
Year 2009 news archive
Year 2008 news archive
Year 2007 news archive
Year 2006 news archive
July-December 2005 news
January-June 2005 news
July-December 2004 news
January-June 2004 news
July-December 2003 news
January-June 2003 news
July-December 2002 news
January-June 2002 news
Year 2001 news archive
October 2000 news
February-March 2000 news
October 1999-January 2000 news
September 1999 news
August 1999 news
July 1999 news archive
June 1999 news archive
May 1999 news archive
News archive for the pre-May
This page is maintained by Tapio Keihänen,
the front page http://www.dio.net/.